Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Opposite of Scrapbooker

When I moved to Utah (the scrapbooking mecca of the world), I had no idea that there were actually HUGE stores dedicated to nothing but paper and cutesy little things to put on paper, ways to cut paper, ways to stain paper, even how to make a paper lasagna! Ok, so I made up that last part, but you get the idea, I thought I'd moved to bizarro world! (and in some ways I had!)

This is how much of a scrapbooker I am, quick story.  When my daughter and I moved to Utah, we didn't know a single person.  We were adjusting to the nuances of the area and unpacking slowly.  We both missed our familiar Seattle skyline and all the flavor that comes from a large metro area.  Seeking something more like home, we decided to head out the Costco for "dinner", we had film we needed to pick up and we could look at those over a ginormous slice of pizza.

We were sopping up the grease from our pizza and flipping through our pictures.  I was having a hard time placing who these people were in the pictures...did we have another families REALLY boring pictures of kids standing around?  I told my daughter we had someone else's pictures and we should return them to the film counter (note that there were nice families sitting all around us, this is Utah of course).  Then I flipped to THE picture....it was one of my daughter standing near the front door on her first day of KINDERGARTEN!  She was currently in 7th GRADE!

These strange kids I didn't recognize, were some of the neighborhood kids.  The nice families around us were in awe "Did you hear that?  She didn't even recognize her own daughter, must have been away for a long time".  I'm sure they thought I'd been in prison doing hard time for some unholy crime, but would be in more shock once they found out that no, I wasn't an exciting criminal, just a really good mom who was way too busy to develop film!  Thank goodness for digital cameras!

Fast forward 7 years to present day...now I frequent some of those stores and find that the people I meet in them are really funny and quirky. Just like me!

This is how my adventure in paper began in Utah!  Cricut reviews up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment